Regular price £25,999.00
Tax included. Shipping calculated at checkout.
Sized: 122cm/91.4cm (48"/36")
Acrylic on canvas with metal paint tubes.
Or purchase the "Paintwork 4" NFT-Canvas-Crypto bundle
It’s been a busy day –
professionally or socially –
and at last you’re home.
In a world that is sometimes overwhelmingly complex,
our brains often cry out for something reduced to simple,
Your Paintwork offers you the basics of art materials,
laid out in a series of visible actions, calming the mind.
- Paintwork paintings are inspired by Piet Mondrian's work where he used flat geometrical colours within a grid of black on white. Like Mondrian, this work concerned the rhythms and organisation of music.
- Each Paintwork mark might be a musical notes deployed along a manuscript or describe a pattern of aural variations.
- They are also designed to represent the deconstruction of a traditional depiction. Steve originally titled the works to allude to a specific scene.
- Eventually these titles were removed. While they suggested a narrative path, titles seemed to close off all the other possible paths.
- Using Paintwork as a title, partners “art” alongside what is regarded as pedestrian or even mundane, creating a juxtaposition.
- Accompanied by a signed Certificate of Authenticity to prove provenance.
- There is Free shipping, worldwide, secure and insured.
It’s a beautiful evening.
You have some friends coming round.
For drinks maybe. And something to eat.
Gradually they arrive with their familiar smiles and catch-up talk.
Your Paintwork painting has arrived too,
now suspended proudly upon a feature wall,
drawing admiring enquiry from friends.
You tell the story.
And everyone agrees…
they want to touch it.
- While art “materials” are always (or usually) used in the creation of an artwork, the Paintwork chooses to show them and employ them.
- The tubes that housed the paint were glued on to “depict” the source from which the colours originated. This means they are depicting what they are, through context.
- The tubes were painted white to remove manufacturer branding and to blend them into the background at certain vantages.
- The proudness of the tube form (like miniature sculptures all) casts an ever-changing range of shadow, according to the lighting conditions.
- Marks were made directly onto the canvas. The canvas collects and reflects upon a series of moments and decisions where the paint tubes were applied.
- The nature of the mark means that it cannot be altered or improved. It is what it is.
- Steve (as the artist) made this artwork, but while his hands were used, the physics of squeezing paint from a tube in one movement naturally produced some variation in outcome.
- Some of the marks made by the tubes are more aesthetically "successful" than others, but they are all included. Some of the curves are perfect, others are slightly less so.
- Through this very human combination, the whole thing becomes alluringly tactile.
Thank you for choosing a Paintwork.
Want to look at something else?
Visit the The Signed99 Gallery